The mission of the Access Services department of the Pace University Library is to be user-centered, treating all users with respect and impartiality, in providing circulation, reserve, interlibrary loan and stack maintenance services in support of the University's and Library's learning and research goals.
A barcode is required to borrow library materials, to request Interlibrary Loans, and to renew books online. You can request a library barcode at the Circulation Desk at any Pace library location. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a barcode. Graduate Center Library patrons may call (914) 422-4384 to request a Library barcode. The barcode will serve as your library card. You will need a current Pace I.D., registration sticker or bursar receipt to receive a barcode.
Students and part-time staff may borrow books for four weeks. Faculty, administration and staff are given a full semester loan. The policy on reserve items varies; inquire at the Circulation Desk. DVD's and videos may be borrowed for three days with no renewals. Periodicals and reference books don't circulate. Students and part-time staff are allowed to borrow up to 15 items at a time. The maximum for faculty and full-time staff is 25 items. The due date for all books is provided on a "date due" receipt.
Two 4-week renewals are permitted if the book has not been requested by another reader. There are no renewals on reserve materials. You cannot renew a book if it is more than 5 days overdue. You may renew books in person at the Circulation Desk, online in the library catalog, or over the telephone.
- Fines are 10 cents per day, per book excluding days the library is closed. The maximum fine is $25.00.
- Fines on overdue hourly reserve books are $1.00 per hour or part of an hour. You will be fined $5.00 per day if you remove hourly reserve items or periodicals from the library, or if you do not return one-day or seven-day reserve books on time. At the Mortola Library, reserve book fines can accumulate as high as $100.
- Video fines at Birnbaum Library are $5.00/day and at the Mortola Library video fines are $2.00/day.
- Borrowing privileges and access to student records (e.g. registration, transcripts, etc.) will be blocked when $5.00 or more is owed to the library.
You will be charged a replacement fee of $60.00, plus a processing fee of $15.00 if you lose a book. If the book is subsequently found and returned to the library, the replacement fee will be refunded. Replacement fee for lost or damaged DVD's/videos is $30.00. The fee for lost ConnectNY Books is $100.00.
Hold Book Requests
If a book that you need is on loan to another reader, you may request that a hold be placed on the book. When the book is returned to the library, you will be notified that it is being held for you at the Circulation Desk. The Circulation Desk will hold the book for approximately one week.
The library can recall checked-out books at any time to place them on reserve. If another patron needs a book it can be recalled from students and part-time staff after it has been checked out for two weeks, and from faculty or full-time staff after it has been checked out for four weeks. A fine of 50 cents per day per item will be charged for recalled items not returned by the recall date. Failure to return recalled items will result in suspension of borrowing privileges until the items are returned.
- At the Birnbaum Library, provide the call number when requesting reserve material.
- At the Mortola Library, provide your faculty member's name when requesting reserve material.
- Reserve materials consist of popular reference books, readings assigned by your instructor and some annual reports. Check for reserve material by course or professor name on the online library catalog. A library barcode is required to request and to borrow reserve materials, usually for two hours in the library.
Videocassettes and DVDs circulate for three days with no renewals. Viewing equipment is available on the second floor of the Birnbaum Library and on the first floor of the Mortola Library. The fine for an overdue video is $5.00 per day at the Birnbaum Library, and $2.00 per day at the Mortola Library. Lost video or DVD replacement is $30.00
ConnectNY books are borrowed for your use from another library. Please take good care of these items. The Initial Loan period is 3 weeks. One renewal is allowed for total 6 weeks. Fines are .10 cents per day for late returns. There is a $100 charge for lost or damaged books.
Ann Wilberton, Head of Access Services