Leslie Soodak, PhD
Associate Professor of Education
Phone: (914) 773-3875
- PhD, New York University
- MS, State University of New York, College at Buffalo
- BA, Queens College
- TCH 475
- ED 684
My research interests focus on education of students with disabilities in inclusive settings. I have explored various aspects of teaching that promote acceptance and learning, including teachers’ thinking about students, instructional arrangements, assessment strategies, and parent-professional partnerships. In my current research and field work I am seeking to improve collaboration among general educators, special educators, parents, and administrators so that we may achieve more positive outcomes for learners with diverse abilities and interests.
Publications & Articles:
- Turnbull, A., Turnbull, R., Erwin, E., & Soodak, L. (2010). Families, Professionals and Exceptionality: Positive Outcomes Through Partnerships and Trust (6th Ed.). NJ: Merrill/Prentice Hall
- McCarthy, M. R., Wiener, R., & Soodak, L. C. (2010). Vestiges of segregation in the implementation of inclusion policies in public high schools. Educational Policy.
- Soodak, L. C. & Erwin, E. E. Inclusive communities. PBS Parents Inclusive Communities website (Revised 2009) http://www.pbs.org/parent /inclusivecommunities/
- Lost in Translation: Understanding Student Behavior. Changing Suburbs Institute, New York, April 2011 (with M. Malow and D. Gomez)
- Videostories: The Power of Technology in Giving Voice. NYS Council for Exceptional Children Annual Convention, Oct., 2010
- Redefining the continuum of services for students with disabilities in high school. NYSATE/NYACTE Conference, Saratoga, NY (with R. Wiener & MR McCarthy) April 2009
- Co-PI, STARS Project: CFDA: 84325T Special Education Preservice Improvement Grant, 2010 Funded by the U.S.Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, $300,000 per year for 5 years.
- Pace University, Scholarly Research Award for study of teacher quality and student learning in inclusive secondary classes, 2010.
- American Educational Research Association, Member, 1989 - present.
- Council for Exceptional Children, Member and Past Regional Representative, 1976 - present.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Member 1995 - present.