May 17, 2002
Minutes of the Council Meeting on May 17, 2002
Butcher Suite, Campus Center, Pleasantville
Co-Chairperson Marie Petrocelli opened the meeting. The minutes from the March 15, 2002 meeting were approved.
Marie Petrocelli read a report from the Benefits Committee submitted by Barbara McCarthy.
- The committee is revisiting the domestic partner benefit to include only same sex partners. The two-year wait rule for this benefit has been placed on hold.
- United Behavioral Health Services (counseling) will be available to faculty and staff (not students) effective 7/1/02.
- Post retirement benefits will be reviewed.
- The cost of prescription drugs has risen and the committee is requesting information on healthnet claims.
- A Health Plan Satisfaction survey, conducted by J.D Powers will be distributed to all employees. All are encouraged to reply.
Deanna Vatan read a report from the PUAC meeting of April 3, 2002 submitted by Ken Schneck.
- An advertising campaign to get more students involved in PUAC will be initiated.
- The Academic Integrity Code will be revisited in the Fall.
- Diversity issues were discussed. It was debated whether or not similar issues of diversity could be addressed in the same manner on each campus. The consensus was that
different approaches are needed, as the climate on each campus is different.
- PUAC will reconvene in the Fall with a greater push towards membership.
Reola Clark reported on the Faculty Council meetings from April & May.
- Benefits for retirees was discussed. Whether faculty would retain their titles after retirement was not resolved.
- Associate Provost Beverly Kahn presented the plan for the Honors College to replace the Honors Program as well as revisions to UNV 101. The faculty rejected both because they had not been consulted on these changes.Objections were raised to policies being put into practice without faculty input.
- The new core was approved.
Deanna Vatan announced that there would be a diversity officer on the PLV campus in the fall.
Invitations have been sent out for the picnic-Friday June 14, 2002 12:30-3:00.
Geoff Harter discussed plans for two dedication ceremonies for the new Fitness Center. One will take place at the opening of the Fall 2002 semester. The second to take place during Homecoming Weekend.
The Stategic Plan was discussed. All comments and/or suggestions are
welcome and will be passed along to the Committee members.
Elections were held for the Executive Council Members for the 2002-2003 academic year. Ken Schneck and Marie Petrocelli will be Co-Chairs, Nikki Atkinson will be Secretary and Deanna Vatan will be Treasurer. Barbara Cunningham was elected to be the Council's representative to the Middle States Committee.
A vote was taken on the meeting time for next year. The majority voted to return Council meetings to Wednesday mornings, 8:30-10:00 am. Since there was some concerns raised, this issue will be revisited at the end of the Fall semester.
The Executive Council members will be reviewing the Council Constitution over the summer and bringing proposals for any changes to the membership next year.