March 2005 meeting minutes
Minutes of the Pleasantville/Briarcliff Administrative Staff Council Meeting
Wednesday, March 2, 2005
Butcher Suite, Campus Center, Pleasantville
The meeting was called to order at 8:45 am by Joe Kelly, co-chair. Introductions were made. Minutes of the last meeting approved.
- Geoff Harter: Womens Basketball Team are in the quarterfinals. **They are also in the Division II March Madness Tournament***
- Connie Serafin: Wellness week begins March 7. From 3:30 - 4:30 on March 8 and 12:15 - 1:20 on March 11 there will be fitness assessments done by the Health Care Unit and Athletics at the campus center.
- Angelo Spillo, Anna Fishman: Co chairs of the United Way Campaign and Earthshare in Westchester. The auction will be on Friday April 22 at 12 noon in Gottesman. Mary McDonald who has been with earthshare for 15 years spoke. Earthshare is national/international and local. She noted statistics that show that the cancer rate is climbing, asthma has increased 160% in the last 15 years, and the air quality in Westchester does not meet federal standards. Earthshare is addressing all these problems through its consortium of environmental groups.
- Service Committee: American Cancer Society Daffodil Day drive. Delivery is March 17. Need people to wrap and deliver daffodils in dining room A at 8:30 am on March 17.
- Karen DeSantis – Faculty Council Meeting –
- Ron Frank, Martha Kelly, David Gertner, and Joshua Schwartz received tenure.
- Dan Farkas, Karen Berger, Andrew Klienman, Leslie Soodak, and Xioa Lei Wang all received promotions.
- Pace has seven Fulbright finalists
- President Caputo thanks Professor Marie Werner for her survey results. In response, the administrations will post new building service flyers in all classrooms; attend all faculty and administrative staff council meetings and the community meetings; start a Share the Work program on April 7 and April 26 where an administrative officer will share your work and you will share theirs for a day; and increase open hours for the Provost and President to 90 minutes.
- Dean Merrit, Bev Kahn, and President Caputo will be visiting China with County Executive Andrew Spano in March.
- Provost Morreale noted the PLV campus is close to 80% for retention of freshman to sophomore years.
- Students will register online for Summer semester class and grades will be posted online as well.
- Vice President Rick Whitfield gave an update on OneCard for faculty. He noted that we currently have over 13,000 active users and that we have been able to save over $54,000 dollars by not writing refund checks and have received and additional $4,000 in revenue for the use of the OneCard as a credit card.
- The meeting was closed so that the faculty could discuss two issues: 1. Surendra Kaushik is on sabbatical and has been told that he will not be able to act as Chair since he should be spending 100% of his time on research and 2. Should there be an AAUP chapter on campus
- Joe Kelly: If you are not on the list serve, please email Karen DeSantis firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the list serve.
Special Guest Speaker: Yvonne Ramirez-Lesce – Vice President for Human Resources
Yvonne gave a talk on all the intitatives within the Human Resources department which include:
Expanding and revising the current employee recognition programs
Updating the current handbook
Revising the discrimination policy which will include a new definition of Harrassment
New policies to look into include: formal staff conflict resolution, whistleblower protections, and flex work schedules for specific instances.
Benefit initiatives include looking into supplemental long term disability insurance review
Training and Development has created an Advanced connections program in which employees will receive core competancy training, managers will have expanded trianing which will include changes in April
Pace Centennial Celebration