Modern Language Studies
The Modern Language Studies program on the Pleasantville campus offers core courses in French, Italian and Spanish language, as well as culture and literature in translation courses from the French and Spanish speaking worlds, and Italy.
Our small class size enables faculty to provide students with individualized instruction and attention. Among our top priorities is teaching in a supportive and interactive atmosphere.
Students may take 101-102 (Introduction to college level language) in French and Italian, and 101-102, and 280 (Intensive Review of Spanish) to fulfill the Core curriculum Second Language Foundation requirement. Students may also elect to take American Sign Language (ASL 165-166) to fulfill the requirement.
These courses are designed to develop the basic communicative skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, within a cultural context. At the end of these courses, students should expect to:
- understand and respond to questions in the target language about topics which they have studied
- read simple authentic materials relating to topics which they have studied
- write simple sentences in the target language
Our exciting culture and literature courses are taught in English and fulfill various Areas of Knowledge in the Core Curriculum, including Western Heritage, World Traditions and Cultures, and Humanistic and Creative Expressions. Many such courses are offered online as well as on campus. Examples of recent courses include: Italian Cinema; French Culture Through Film; Women Authors of West Africa and the Caribbean; Modern Spain; and Latino Culture and Literature.
Students who successfully complete these courses can expect to be able to:
- enjoy with pleasure the expansion of their intellectual and cultural horizons, and the deepening of their knowledge of world cultures.
- discuss and analyze in both writing and conversation a film or text within its historical, social and cultural background
For further information contact Adelia Williams, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914-773-3306