Do you have questions about the coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Please read the COVID -19 FAQ (PDF), updated by Cigna March 16, 2020.
- Visit Pace University’s latest updates and policies on Coronavirus.
It’s important to exercise and try to keep your mind and body as healthy as possible. Don’t forget about your financial wellness!
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
Each year millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental illness. We often misunderstand mental health because it is hard to define. Additionally, mental health includes several areas. These areas involve one’s social, emotional, and psychological well-being. Mental health affects thoughts, feelings, and actions. When one has positive mental health, they are better equipped to handle stress, be more productive, and realize their full potential.
Do you need help, or have a family member that does? Call the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) toll-free number at 1-877-622-4327. You do not need to be enrolled in Cigna to participate in the EAP. As always, the EAP is available 24/7. It provides confidential counseling to assist in solving personal, family and work-related problems as well as a resource to go to when you don't know where to go for help.
5 Tips to Help Reduce Employee Stress
Source: Human Resource Executive “5 tips to help reduce employee stress” by Elizabeth Clarke, May 4, 2021
1. Create meaningful transitions. Take at least 30 minutes after work to relax and move slowly from work to home. He suggests sitting or lying down and meditating.
2. Break a sweat. Release anxiety throughout the day with stretching or bodyweight exercises in the morning and some stretches at your desk throughout the day.
3. Experience something beautiful. This can be small or big, real or planned. Almost anything qualifies, from eating a nutritious meal to watching a beautiful sunset to listening to a favorite piece of music or even reading a travel book to inspire you to plan a post-pandemic trip.
4. Live in the moment. Spend five minutes a day focused on what’s happening in your life right now—not tomorrow or yesterday.
5. Embrace gratitude and positivity. Wrap up each day by focusing on compassion for everyone around you and by remembering that “we are all doing our best.”
- Mental Health: Healthy Life Tips for Women. Wednesday, May 19 from 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Are you fighting with health advice overload? Join this seminar presented by Cigna’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to review core ways women can create a basic blueprint for better health. You must register for this seminar. When you log in, you can choose to attend this seminar, register for upcoming seminars, or attend an on-demand seminar. On-demand replay will be available at this link starting two hours after live the presentation.
- Mental Health: Healthy Life Tips for Men. Wednesday, June 2 from 2:00 p.m.-3:00p.m.
Good health doesn’t happen magically; choices matter. Join this seminar presented by Cigna’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to review key ways men can build a solid foundation for wellness. You must register for this seminar. When you log in, you can choose to attend this seminar, register for upcoming seminars, or attend an on-demand seminar. On-demand replay will be available at this link starting two hours after live the presentation.
2021 Cigna Behavioral Health Education Series
Cigna’s seminars are free and you don’t have to register. The seminars are open to anyone, including parents, caregivers and loved ones. Sign up for any one of these seminars and you’ll receive a reminder once the event date gets closer.
Would you like to learn about autism spectrum disorder? Cigna’s phone seminars will help you learn more about the physical, behavioral and emotional growth of individuals who may display its symptoms.
- Teens with ASD: Using Mindfulness to Teach Coping and Social Skills
Thursday, May 13 from 1:00 pm-2:00 pm
Sign up for a reminder or to view more information. Call-in number: 1 (866) 770-3260
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Neurodiverse Relationships
Thursday, June 10 from 1:00 pm-2:00 pm
Children and Families
Could you use more help understanding behavioral health issues in children? Cigna’s phone seminars will help you learn more about common issues, as well as offer coping techniques and support.
- The Intersection of Adolescent Development and Sex Trafficking: Vulnerabilities and Risk Factors
Thursday, May 20 from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm.
Visit Cigna's website for more information and to sign up for a reminder. Call-in number: 1 (866) 770-3260
- Attachment Interventions
Thursday, June 17 from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
Do you know someone with anorexia nervosa or bulimia? We’d like to help you learn more about the physical and emotional symptoms of eating disorders like these.
- The Missing Dimension: Current Evidence-Based Strategies for Integrating Movement into Eating Disorders Recovery
Tuesday, May 25 from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
Visit Cigna's website for more information and to sign up for a reminder. Call-in number: 1 (866) 770-3260.
- Journaling for Eating Disorder Recovery
Tuesday, June 22 from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
Is substance use a concern? Cigna’s phone seminars will help you learn more about physical, behavioral and emotional signs, as well as offer coping techniques and support.
- Mindfulness in Recovery
Wednesday, May 19,2021 from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
Visit Cigna's website for more information and to sign up for a reminder. Call-in number: 1 (866) 770-3260.
- Help for Families Facing Substance Use and Mental Health Disorders
Wednesday, June 16 from 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
TIAA’s Live Webinars
Keep your financial goals on track. Watch past presentations on demand. The following webinars are open to all institutional employees and are available now for registration in the Live Webinar Lounge.
- Responsible Investing: Portfolios with Purpose. Wednesday, May 12 at 12 pm-1 pm
Make an impact with a social choice. Did you know that responsible investing enables investors to align their social and environmental principals with their financial goals? Learn the factors that make an investment socially responsible, the history of RI and ways for individuals to incorporate RI into their investment strategy.
- Money at Work 2: Sharpening Investment Skills. Wednesday, May 12 at 3 pm-4 pm
Feel more secure in your savings strategy by verifying you’re on the right track. And if you’re off track, know what adjustments you need to make. Learn how to plan your investments and hold on to as much of your nest egg as possible.
- The 411 on 529 College Savings Plans. Thursday, May 13 at 12 pm-1 pm
You can learn how 529 college savings plans work and how to invest in one for a child, grandchild, yourself or other loved one.
- Health Savings Accounts as a Nest Egg. Thursday, May 13 at 3 pm-4 pm
You may know about the tax advantages of contributing to a Health Savings Account (HSA), but did you know that HSAs are also a way to save for health care expenses in retirement? In addition, one of the many benefits of an HSA is that the unused balances can be invested for potential growth over the long term and used during retirement years when healthcare expenses may be significantly higher. During this discussion, we’ll go through how HSAs can help you in your journey toward financial wellness.
- Tai Chi/Qigong: Thursdays, 12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m. Join the Tai Chi/Qigong Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 647 272 566. Please contact Inita Mix or firstname.lastname@example.org for the password. On the following Thursdays, the classes will be focused on beginners: May 13 & 27, June 10 & 24. All levels are always welcome! Originating in ancient China, Tai Chi and Qigong are some of the most effective exercises for health, combining mind and body. Join us for a moment of tranquility in your day. Gently improve muscle strength, coordination, flexibility, balance, stiffness and overall wellness through coordinated body-postures and movement, breathing and meditation. Classes are provided by Master Lynn X. Lin of Sitan Tai Chi. Master Lynn X. Lin is co-founder and Vice President of Tai Chi Qigong Association of America and Vice President of Sitan Tai Chi & Martial Arts.
Live Remote Athletics Classes
We’ve partnered with Athletics to bring you LIVE remote classes, via zoom! For the zoom links to the live classes, and/or to obtain the link to any of the recorded Athletics classes listed below, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Yoga with Ingrid: Mondays, from 1:00 p.m.–1:45 p.m. Ingrid’s approach to yoga in this setting, is breath and movement-based and informed with her deep experience in the practice with a focus on inner listening and cultivating a deeper connection to oneself through yoga asana and pranayama, (postures and breath). Health and wellness isn’t just about understanding your body better, but developing the habits and practices that will bring you the transformation you seek. Whether you want to get stronger and more flexible, learn optimal movement, or start or improve your yoga practice, Ingrid welcomes all levels and experience. Ingrid has been teaching yoga at Pace since 2002 and has been a yoga practitioner for 25 years. She is also Nutrition Counselor and Personal Trainer at Equinox. As a lover of deep learning with a myriad of certifications in her field, along with prior corporate experience and a Masters in Philosophy, she brings a unique perspective to the practice. Having learned from and practiced with renowned yogis worldwide, she imparts the teachings of the practice, including mindfulness, to enhance your health and wellbeing. For the link to zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Zumba with Joann: Mondays from 5:00 p.m.–5:45 p.m. Joann’s Zumba class combines fun, sweat and dancing. JoAnn Hamilton is a certified Aerobics and Zumba instructor. She has taught at Pace for over 10 years. For the link to Zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Meditative Yoga with Lauri – Mondays, 6:15 p.m.–7:15 p.m. Want to wind down after the first day of the work week? Join veteran yoga teacher Lauri Nemetz for a gentle and restorative yoga practice with extra time for long guided meditations, savasana (active relaxation) and more! Adjunct Associate Professor Laurice (Lauri) Nemetz, MA, BC-DMT, E-RYT500, LCAT, C-IAYT is well known yoga teacher and has taught at Pace University Pleasantville for over 17 years. She is a past-President of the Yoga Teachers Association (YTA), and is a certified yoga therapist and is registered at the highest level with Yoga Alliance (YA) in addition to being an YA education provider. She has taught yoga and anatomy workshops internationally and presents regularly at conferences and other universities including Harvard Medical School and Oxford University. For the link to Zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Yoga with Lauri: Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:15 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Yoga is an ancient practice based on philosophy, mindfulness and asana work. Asanas or “poses” can also be translated as “comfortable seat” meaning that as we practice different poses they become more comfortable for our body and give us more ways to move with ease. Class will have modifications and emphasize an all-level practice and will include breath work and final relaxation. Come join! Adjunct Associate Professor Laurice (Lauri) Nemetz, MA, BC-DMT, E-RYT500, LCAT, C-IAYT is well known yoga teacher and has taught at Pace University Pleasantville for over 17 years. She is a past-President of the Yoga Teachers Association (YTA), and is a certified yoga therapist and is registered at the highest level with Yoga Alliance (YA) in addition to being an YA education provider. She has taught yoga and anatomy workshops internationally and presents regularly at conferences and other universities including Harvard Medical School and Oxford University. For the link to Zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Bootcamp with Omar: Wednesdays and Fridays, from 12:30 p.m.–1:00 p.m. This boot camp circuit workout works your entire body with cardio, lower body, upper body and core exercises. You won't need any equipment, which makes this the perfect workout for small spaces, travel exercise or for anyone who wants a challenging workout using their own body weight. You will be walked thru how to modify each exercise towards your fitness level so that you can have a fun and enjoyable workout! Omar Torres is an active student, Army veteran of 12 years. He's competed in numerous fitness competitions such as mixed martial arts, powerlifting, marathons and Spartan races. His various certification include kettlebells and TRX suspension training. For the link to Zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Toning with Joann: Wednesdays, from 5:00 p.m.–5:45 p.m. The toning class combines weights, cardio floor work, balance and combination of barre exercises that will tone your body. JoAnn Hamilton is a certified Aerobics and Zumba instructor. She has taught at Pace for over 10 years. For the link to Zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
- Cardio Kickboxing with Joann: Thursdays, from 5:00 p.m.–5:45 p.m. Get ready to punch and kick. This class bring lots of sweat, fun and hard work to this workout. JoAnn Hamilton is a certified Aerobics and Zumba instructor. She has taught at Pace for over 10 years. For the link to Zoom, please contact JR Pouncey.
Online links to practice on your own time:
- Yoga: Ingrid, our yoga instructor in NY recommended this online website for yoga.
- Tai Chi: Olivia, our tai chi instructor recommended this Youtube video to practice tai chi.
TIAA Webinars and Resources
TIAA has developed a single webpage to consolidate the market volatility and coronavirus details: TIAA Guiding you through turbulent times. The webinars are open to all Pace University employees and are posted in the Live Webinar Lounge.
Call the EAP toll-free number at 1-877-622-4327: You do not need to be enrolled in Cigna to participate in the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). As always, the EAP is available 24/7. It provides confidential counseling to assist in solving personal, family and work-related problems as well as a resource to go to when you don't know where to go for help. Please call the EAP toll-free number at 1-877-622-4327.
Join a Cigna EAP Wellness Webcast: While feelings of anxiety are normal, they can make day-to-day life more difficult. Cigna EAP is offering several on-demand webcasts that address the impact of these challenges. These one-hour webcasts offer strategies for managing stressful thoughts and emotions. You can explore the idea of resilience and how to build yours up. Experience the practice of mindfulness – a way of gently training your mind for greater calm. And gain practical tips for being successful in a work at home environment. When you log into the Wellness Webcast portal, you can choose to attend one of these seminars, register for upcoming seminars, or attend other on-demand seminars.
Pace University values the physical and emotional health and well-being of our faculty and staff and strives to promote a healthy work environment. We know that being healthy and taking care of yourself in the best way possible makes your work life more productive and satisfying.
Our wellness programs are designed to encourage all faculty and staff to live healthier lifestyles and create a culture of health throughout the campus.
Many of our wellness programs either have no cost or actually reward you in cash for participating!
- The Wellness Walking Club - Periodically, Human Resources will lead 30-45 minute walks on the Pleasantville, New York and Valhalla campuses. Please join us when you can. Wear your sneakers and bring your water, and your colleagues. Dates will be announced via email if there is a walk that week.
- NYC: No walks scheduled at this time.
- PLV: No outdoor walks scheduled at this time.
- Valhalla: No walks scheduled at this time.
- Flu Shots - Several convenient options available to Cigna participants
- Goldstein Health & Fitness Center and NY Gym Offerings - FREE: Tai Chi and Yoga classes, PLV Walking Program (indoors), NYC Boot Camp and more!
- Healthy Pregnancies, Healthy Babies! - Get up to $150 for joining; 24/7 support and education.
- Preventive Care Incentive Program - Get up to a $240 incentive reward payment!
- Smoking Cessation - Please join the Great American Smokeout in November.
So, Pace Yourself to Wellness!